Cost Management and Quantity Surveying
Our approach focuses on the business needs of the client. We deliver sound professional advice tailored around those needs. This allows our clients to use our advice to make informed decisions in, respect of their property and construction assets, to enhance their business. To do this:
- We use live cost data to inform feasibility studies to aid strategic decision making in the early stages of a project and model the cost of proposed design to inform design development
- We produce elemental cost plans prepared in close liaison with appointed designers and lead the value and risk management processed in our projects
- We offer project specific procurement advice specific to each project
- We prepare detailed bills of quantities and schedules of work where required and effectively administer project tenders for works and services
- We proactively manage post contract / construction phase costs then we close out projects with a simple and clear report
- Throughout our involvement we work collaboratively with the full project team and ultimately aim to deliver projects to meet agreed cost, quality and time objectives.
At John Cobb Consulting we pride ourselves on having traditional Building Surveyors who are naturally inquisitive and have an eye for detail. Our busy Building Surveying department is exposed to a continuing variety of commissions on a range of building types and ages, both inside and outside of London.
This ongoing variety has provided our Building Surveyors with much experience and an ability for the following services to be delivered to a high standard:
- Building defect diagnosis and recommendation of remedial works
- Design and specification of small works and conversions
- Specification and supervision of maintenance and refurbishment programmes
- Dilapidation surveys and advice (on behalf of Landlord or Tenant)
- Condition surveys, analysis and reporting
- Party wall matters
- Expert witness
At John Cobb Consulting all of our Project Managers understand the importance of knowledge, timing and communication in relation to a construction project.
This coupled with appropriate leadership and management skills ensures we deliver successful schemes time after time.
We appreciate that every project is different, and each will vary in its complexity and the particular challenges therein. What is key is that these bespoke criteria are identified, understood and managed from the outset.
As in depth understanding of client's requirements and legal parameters enables our Project Managers to advise clients on how projects should be procured, phased and delivered.
Detailed pre and post contract programming, amongst other briefing and reporting forms, are an important skill we offer. Programmes are often produced which are difficult to follow and may not be realistic. Programmes produced by John Cobb Consulting will always be logical and achievable and they will be presented in an appropriately straight forward manner.
With the use of Design and Build contracts now common place, John Cobb Consulting have developed a strong team of Employer's Agents to represent and advise a client in conjunction with this procurement route.
A good Employer's Agent will fully understand the scope and extent of a given project, the documents and drawings which explain it, and how the works are to be phased and delivered. This, and an in depth understanding of the form of contract (plus any bespoke amendments), is fundamental to project success. At John Cobb Consulting our Employer's Agents possess this high level of contract understanding, and they will ensure they are immersed sufficiently in a project as it develops to know that the works are co-ordinated and appropriate to the brief.
Our experienced Employer's Agents plus their bespoke project knowledge will enable progress and risk to be assessed and reported on, as well as the financial performance of the project to be analysed and any change assessed.
The Project Monitor provides an independent and impartial assessment of a project protecting the Client's interests by identifying and advising on the risks associated in a development that is not under the Client's direct control.
- Advise upon land and property acquisition matters and statutory consents needed.
- Monitoring the performance of the developer and its team.
- Identifying and advising on the risks to the client that is not under the client's direct control.
- Anticipating potential issues which may affect the delivery of the project.
- We undertake project monitoring on behalf of funding institutions, tenant or purchasers, private finance initiative funders and end users.